Remove this ad

Lead

May 2 10 9:53 PM

Tags : :

So, here is the place to post the random question you might have for the guys at Renegade Kid.  For instance...

- How did you guys decide on the name "Renegade Kid?" 

- Have you recieved any info on the 3DS so that you can begin working on games for that, if not, how do you gain knowledge of the technology?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

May 2 10 10:11 PM

So, here is the place to post the random question you might have for the guys at Renegade Kid.  For instance...
 - How did you guys decide on the name "Renegade Kid?" 
 - Have you recieved any info on the 3DS so that you can begin working on games for that, if not, how do you gain knowledge of the technology?

-obishawn

Hi Shawn. Good to hear from you again. Thanks for the questions. Here are my answers:

I am originally from the UK. I moved to the US when I was about 19 (to work at Iguana Entertainment). One of my favorite developers growing up in England were the Bitmap Brothers; they made some of the best games on the Amiga (Speedball 2, Xenon 2, Gods, Magic Pockets, Chaos Engine, Cadaver). They had everything: art, design, tech, and audio. Their publishing label was (is?) Renegade. I always thought that was such an awesome word. It said everything. So, when it came to thinking of names for our company, visions of the Bitmap Brothers came to my mind and then the word Renegade. I also like combination names that have both bitter and sweet, happy and sad, evil and pure, etc. So, adding something playful to the rogue word Renegade would give it a softer touch. Kid is a word that is both young and playful, as well as having a little attitude. Combing Kid with Renegade, to form Renegade Kid just made sense in my world of creative logic. :)

We have not received any official info on the 3DS. I have contacted Nintendo and heard back from them. They are swamped with everything right now. I expect we'll hear everything about it at E3 (in June 2010), and shortly after that hopefully get our hands on some development kits.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

May 2 10 10:19 PM

Aha so that's how the name came to be! Interesting to hear that :) I have a few questions;

How did you (Renegade Kid) decide on Dementium and its settings?
Did you originally plan for Dementium to have a sequal?
In an old screenshot (I think it was on IGN) there were these rather bizzare creatures with bandages around them. Did you have many other creature designs for the original Dementium?
Did any of them (if there were) make it into Dementium II?

Gamertag: Squadzilla91 Currently Playing; Red Dead Redemption

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

May 2 10 10:32 PM

Aha so that's how the name came to be! Interesting to hear that :) I have a few questions;
1. How did you (Renegade Kid) decide on Dementium and its settings?
2. Did you originally plan for Dementium to have a sequal?
3. In an old screenshot (I think it was on IGN) there were these rather bizzare creatures with bandages around them. Did you have many other creature designs for the original Dementium?
Did any of them (if there were) make it into Dementium II?

-cazza

1. We decided on a survival horror game due to our love for Silent Hill 2, and the absence of that genre on the DS. Resident Evil DS was the only title close at the time, and it was, well, a little weak in the scares and atmosphere department. The hospital setting came from the idea that it was a location that, although featured in some games, had not been the primary theme for a survival horror game.

2. We always plan for a sequel. :)

3. Yeah, those bandage dudes we the very first enemy that Gregg created for the game when it was called just "The Ward". Once we got rolling a little further along, we replaced them with the Chest Maws, which I think look tons better than the "Mummy's". :) There was one other creature we designed for the first Dementium that did not make it into the game, called the Feast Beast. It was in the very first video we released for "The Ward" when we were trying to find a publisher. Check it out here. However, all of the creatures for Dementium II were new designs.

Jools

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

May 2 10 10:44 PM

Thanks for answering that Jools :) Nice to have those cleared up.

I'll have to agree about lack of Survival Horror games on the DS. The same could be said for the Wii. I'm glad you guys decided to go with that genre, the DS really does need some more mature titles. Come to think of it, you're right. I can't think of any other Survival Horror game with a hospital as its main location.

Nice to hear you always have sequals on mind. Makes me think Dementium will be getting a third entry ;D

Also agreeing with you on the Chest Maws (i've been calling them Chest Maulers, heh). Definately a much better design than the Mummy's. They're certainly ... interesting to say the least. As for the Feast Beast ... wow. Looks like it would have been a bit too fast for William in the finished Dementium build, haha. For some reason, it makes me think of the "Lickers" from the Resident Evil series.

Gamertag: Squadzilla91 Currently Playing; Red Dead Redemption

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

May 2 10 11:43 PM

I have to say there is a distinct lack of Mature titles on the DS period, despite some franchises that I love, Advance Wars, Fire Emblem.

and Chest maws? HATE THEM, especially the ones that spit green goo on you.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

May 3 10 5:18 AM

Jools, given your conenctions with Acclaim, do you think you could possibly get to do a Turok for the DS?  I know that is wishful thinking and the likelihood of that happening is pretty slim, but that would be pretty sweet.

-obishawn

I agree that it would be awesome to do Turok for the DS. Even a port of the original would be great. Disney now owns the Turok brand. I don't think Disney would want to put a mature game on the DS. :)

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

May 3 10 5:21 AM

I really love what you do with the DS.
I wonder, how is Nintendo treating you guys?
because you hear all sor off things. from super positive to negative.
and would you want to work on one of the Nintendo ip's if you get the chance? and wich one would that be?

-pinkrabbitson

Nintendo is great to work with. We have had a good experience with them.

I would love to work on one of Nintendo's IPs. I think a Luigi's Mansion on the DS / 3DS would be cool. :)

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

May 3 10 6:19 PM

ha! that glitch made the game so much easier, especially with the shotgun.

Mah' question is what the online multiplayer job offer that was on the renegade kid website is about. Something to do with "Spirit" or "Face"? Or a completely unrelated beast?

Beat Dementium 2 on normal first time in 3:49. And it was glorious.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

May 3 10 6:28 PM

Jools, have you heard about the glitch in Dementium that allows the player to have the sniper rifle's zoom ability with any weapon and if so, do you have any commentary on it?

-obishawn

Yes, the sniper bug is something that slipped through our testing. It is unfortunate that things like that make it into the game, but it is also kinda fun for those who figure out how to make it happen. 95% of players will never see it, so it's not a huge deal in this case. And, fortunately it doesn't break the game like the LOLA bug in Moon. Now, that was annoying!

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

May 3 10 6:29 PM

ha! that glitch made the game so much easier, especially with the shotgun.
Mah' question is what the online multiplayer job offer that was on the renegade kid website is about. Something to do with "Spirit" or "Face"? Or a completely unrelated beast?

-nathan

Unfortunately, I cannot provide any information on that at this time. Sorry. :(

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

May 3 10 9:03 PM

Yes, the sniper bug is something that slipped through our testing.

How do you even think to test something like that?  It just seems so random.  But, I guess some one found it so apparently someone thinks along those lines.

It is unfortunate that things like that make it into the game, but it is also kinda fun for those who figure out how to make it happen.

LOL, I would have loved to see the looks on Retro Studio's faces when they saw how the sequence breakers tore into Metroid Prime.  It sucks that they took extra measures in the subsequent Prime games to prevent such things from happeneing.  Being able to get the Plasma Beam before Thardus, and actually use it on him, is one of the truly great things about that game.

fortunately it doesn't break the game like the LOLA bug in Moon. Now, that was annoying!

I guess I was just fortunate, I never encoutnered that bug, though on the lunar surface, I did accidentally go to the next lab when I was supposed to take a ride (I'm being vague to avoid spoilers). 

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

May 5 10 6:46 AM

Jools, who designed the D2 booklet? Major kudos to that brilliantly twisted evil mind!

-obishawn

John Kaiser, our esteemed Producer designed the awesome game manual for Dementium II. I love it!

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

May 5 10 8:20 AM

Who's the voice of the Doctor in Dementium 2? It's downright terrifying. (in a good way :] )

-tombot5000

That is me. :)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help