Remove this ad

#41 [url]

May 7 10 1:40 AM

I think it's cool to actually use the language you say you would :)

There are a lot of american movies in wich they act like they speak Dutch (like Hostel) but in fact they speak German.
I can tell you, that offends a lot of dutch people.

I don't think that the Russians will be offended by the use of their language in this game :)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#42 [url]

May 7 10 7:17 AM

Hey, Jools.  I'm the person who wrote about and translated the Russian in Dementium II.  I was just wondering, what kind of research did you do to get theses Russian phrases, and who were the voice actors for the people speaking Russian?  Thanks again for making such a great game.  I've already beaten it on normal, and now am going through on hard. :D

-reeses_30

There are numerous websites that have English to Russian translations, and also provide audio of someone saying the words. So, I went through all of that and figured out which words would be best to use, and then Gregg and I recorded ourselves saying them. I am the guy in the bunk in the cell you start the game in, and Gregg recorded all of the other inmates. I pitch shifted some here and there to help make them sound different from us, and from each other.

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

May 7 10 9:23 AM

What about Karl?  He was my favorite.  That guy should be in more games.

-swiftj

It's hard to see and we don't make a big deal out of it, but Karl can be found "hanging around" somewhere in D2.

Oh, and he was the Dr. that discovered the first hatch in Moon, but his part was seriously edited out of the already wordy "briefing cinema" at the beginning so that we could get you into the game quicker. Alas, poor Karl.

It is my goal to try to slip him into to most of out games where I can so keep your eyes peeled!

Quote    Reply   

#49 [url]

May 7 10 10:51 AM

Hello there! Thanks for taking the time to answer everyone's questions.
I actually have a few myself:

- How do you come up with all the designs for the enemies, did you guys have any specific thing that influenced you in the design?
- You said earlier you always had plans for sequels to your games. Do you think you might make a sequel for Moon?
- So far RK has done a horror and a sci-fi game. Are there any other genres you want to explore, and maybe turn into a game?

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

May 7 10 11:49 PM

From the clues given via the original Dementium and Dementium II, is it possible for us to figure out, or even understand the story of Dementium thus far? I've been trying to piece things together but my mind just blanks out.

Gamertag: Squadzilla91 Currently Playing; Red Dead Redemption

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#52 [url]

May 8 10 4:34 AM

Hey, hey :D
Its me, TheHorrorfan xD
Maybe some of you know me from the YouTube Channel of Jools.

We have a very special relationship to each other, William. There are not many people who have touched your brain ...

Quote    Reply   

#53 [url]

May 8 10 1:02 PM

Hello there! Thanks for taking the time to answer everyone's questions.
I actually have a few myself:
- How do you come up with all the designs for the enemies, did you guys have any specific thing that influenced you in the design?
- You said earlier you always had plans for sequels to your games. Do you think you might make a sequel for Moon?
- So far RK has done a horror and a sci-fi game. Are there any other genres you want to explore, and maybe turn into a game?

-munster

Character design: It's a culmination of all sorts of factors. First is the overall design of the encounter, what do we need it to do? Hang down from the ceiling and drop down on it's victims? Shoot some sort of projectile? Whatever. That tends to direct it a lot. Second is technical limitations. We have only so many polys that we can show on screen at one time so how will the enemies be used? We can throw more polys at bosses because their encounters are usually more isolated and specific. General enemies get far less love in poly department and must be designed far simpler than bosses. Lastly, you look for inspiration everywhere: books, internet, movies, etc and anything that grabs you, incorporate that into your sketch. For example, the first mini-boss you run into, The Gnaw, was inspired by one of those freaky deep water fish that looks like it's all mouth and teeth.
Moon Sequel: We wouldn't be opposed to it. I really liked the storyline (which may have gotten a little watered down by the end - IMO) but it would make for a great 3DS remake or sequel. We'll have to see what happens.
Other Genres: As far as FPSs, we like all sorts and have thought about many different ways we could use it. Western? A spy style GoldenEye hommage? Military? Zaney and cute? Mostly what we try to look for is stuff that we can find an audience for. Also, we are always keeping our eyes open for other genres of gameplay we can dip into so we can prove our diversity. Third person adventures, platformers, puzzle games, racers, whatever... we love all types of games and want to do as many as we can.

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

May 8 10 1:10 PM

From the clues given via the original Dementium and Dementium II, is it possible for us to figure out, or even understand the story of Dementium thus far? I've been trying to piece things together but my mind just blanks out.

-cazza

I'd like to think so. :) We've got a lot of "back story" and we've tried to add in as much explanation as we can and still keep it mysterious. Of course, sometimes, crucial bits might be cut or condensed due to time constraints too. So, to those of us who know what's going on it still makes sense.

However, I still like that it's a little vague and that the player can add some of their own assumptions to what's going on.

Still, we prob'ly got some 'splaining to do! :)

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

May 8 10 1:16 PM

Where did the idea for the Infantile Mollusca come from?

-dealerwealer

It's a baby slug with teeth! We wanted something that could pop up anywhere, especially in an incubator in The Ward (mistaking it for a baby, bam, suprise), something cheap polygon-wise so we could bombard the player with them, ...

...and yeah-yeah, maybe I watched Dune too many times as a kid! :)

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

May 8 10 1:57 PM

Gregg, I just wanted to say that it is good to finally hear from you.  Jools has been the mouth piece to the fans for a long time, and I am certainly not complaining about that.  I think it is great that you guys actually interact with you fan base.  Most developers either post in message boards incognito or just lurk to see what the fans say.  And the fact that you guys converse with the fans has shown in the amount of quality that went into Dementium 2, it truly is an impressive game.

Could you guys elaborate a bit on the ideas or inspirations for the bosses in your games, particularly D2, since it is new and topical?  I know you just told us about The Gnaw, which I likened to the Rancor from Return of the Jedi, but now that you mention it, I know the fish you were referring to and it fits. But, I'm really interested in the bosses for Moon, which I view as Renegade Kid's "Panic Room." 

David Fincher is known for his great visual style and particularly dark stories.  Panic Room is probably one of his most underrated films simply because it didn't appeal to the masses.  But try watching that movie with the volume all the way down and it is easier to see the genius in his style.

And my point is that Moon is a lot like that.  It is a game with a dark story and a specific style and atmosphere that seems to not have been as accepted as the Dementium titles.  But to me, Moon is the underrated, under-estimated little brother to Dementium.  It truly is the middle child.

Quote    Reply   

#57 [url]

May 8 10 3:41 PM

I'd like to think so. :) We've got a lot of "back story" and we've tried to add in as much explanation as we can and still keep it mysterious. Of course, sometimes, crucial bits might be cut or condensed due to time constraints too. So, to those of us who know what's going on it still makes sense. However, I still like that it's a little vague and that the player can add some of their own assumptions to what's going on.
Still, we prob'ly got some 'splaining to do! :)

-kreggula

It's great that you guys are keeping it a mystery but sometimes it just feels like too much of a mystery. Dementium II's story presented more mysteries, and only solved a few from the original game. I'd really like to hope that you, Jools and the rest of RK will make a Dementium III but i've got this nagging feeling in the back of my head that it might not happen. Possibly due to the fact you guys are busy with your other titles. But thank you for answering, i'll continue trying to piece together information and see if I can figure out something. I absolutely adore Dementium's story and can't wait to finally discover how it all plays out.

Gamertag: Squadzilla91 Currently Playing; Red Dead Redemption

Quote    Reply   

#60 [url]

May 9 10 10:30 AM

Not really a question, but i wanted to post here:

DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The rom's already been hacked, and anti-piracy removed. Why can't people buy the game!!

Just wanted to say that.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help