Remove this ad

Lead

May 11 10 8:26 PM

Tags : :

I think it is fair to say that the majority of us here all have quite favorable opinions of D2.  I honestly have zero complaints about the game.  So why this topic?  Well, I was playing recently and came upon some ammo, but my inventory was full.  I had three adrenaline shots that I just haven't gotten into the habbit of using, so I used them up to make room for the ammo.  Anyway, as I continued playing, I was waiting for the effects of the shot to wear off and I just loved the speed that William could run at.

My point?  I think it would be cool to have consistant faster movement, though that would probably make the game too easy.  I mean, you can already run past many of the enemies that are not forced encounters, even more so with a shot of adrenaline.  Still though, the faster movement was cool.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe some kind of New Game+ feature, like an unlockable weapon that you can use from the beginning of the game that isn't too over-powered but still not too shabby (a sword, perhaps?)   but you can only use it on the hardest difficulty, just to keep things balanced.

So, what about you guys?  Maybe some of your ideas could be used in future RK games.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

May 11 10 10:07 PM

The most evident flaw in both Dementium games was, by far, the barely cohesive narrative. That's not to say the plot was bad - really, I think "Dementium: The Ward" has one of the best stories in horror-gaming - but it's just so uneventful, and difficult to follow.

The driving question of both games isn't the source of the monsters, nor is it of who the Doctor is and what his ambitions are. It's did William kill his wife, and was it a result of his psychosis.

In D:TW, William is clearly tortured by the death of his wife, and he's confused as to whether he did it or not - which is all about psychosis, the main theme of the games. However, the game reduces the death of his wife to shock scenes, and treats his daughter like a series of gag scares. Ideally, the game should've given an answer in the form of an even more convoluted question, which I think they tried to do, but it completely failed. The twist at the end was BRILLIANT, but flawed by the fact that the narrative never delivered.

Dementium II was even worse. Only a quarter-stretch of the game was given to his wife (albeit, in which, William was forced to kill "her"), and his daughter was wittled down to a brief reference. What Dementium II did was focus on the Doctor and his ambitions...which is important, yes, but not as important as the question of his wife.

What happened to William's family explains why he was institutionalized (whether he actually murdered his wife in psychosis, or was innocent and admittedly wrongfully) to begin with. The more we learn about her murder, the more we learn about the actual events of the game - are the monsters a real, supernatural threat (as would be explained by him NOT murdering his wife), or are they the paranoid reflections of his tortured mind (as would be explained by him ACTUALLY murdering his wife)? This is how the writers SHOULD be progressing the narrative - but instead, they're trying to progress the narrative through William's conflict with the Doctor, which tells us nothing about how "real" the events of the game actually are - were the monsters in William's unconcious fantasy of D:TW actually, supernaturally real, or just figments of his imagination? Does he really enter a plane of supernatural evil and horror, or is the Plane of Anguish just another paranoid reflection of his psychotic mind? The answer to these questions is completely entwined with what really happened to his wife.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

May 12 10 2:48 AM

Haven't completed it yet...but It's no way near as scary as the first game so far...the beginning with the body on the wall (first time in 'evil world') is the only bit that scared me so far...

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

May 12 10 6:49 AM

I'd like another file slot like we had in D1. I have a younger sister that likes playing in the snow area, but my file was saved at the very last savepoint and I couldn't go back to it. So I deleted and am playing it again. Otherwise, everything is just fine. No complaints about the storytelling so far.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

May 12 10 7:33 AM

The only flaw is the lenght of the game so after you have beaten the game it would be great to have the option of playing the game on a harder difficulty with everything changed. So the Item locations would change, the enemy locations would change, boss locations would change and so on. 
And after you have beaten the game you could again play it with everything changed again and everytime you beet the game you get secret weapons, new survival locations, new monsters...

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

May 13 10 3:31 PM

If I could do anything to improve the game it'd be to have William have scripted, but periodic mental breakdown episodes, like those found in Eternal Darkness as your sanity meter is low.

Or even the way your character would act when his sanity was low in Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. He'd start to mumble to himself, his vision would go blurry and his hands shook.

It's nothing big, but I just like seeing this sort of thing in a horror game because dealing with things that horrendous and vile will work over a mortal's sanity.

"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone."

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

May 22 10 12:31 PM

^This^
Bigger Focus On The Insanity And Breakdowns. I Feel Like All The Doctor's Talk Of William Being Crazy Is BS. I Never Once Felt Out Of Control As William.

William Redmoor Bears A Suspicious Resemblance To "Cavity Sam" From Operation...

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Jun 10 10 9:47 AM

I agree with Travis_Touchdown. And How did his daughter die in the first place. she was find in Dementium the ward, so how was she killed. the doctor couldn't have done it because William was in a mental hospital for killing his wife, allowing the docter to screw up his head. over all i saw they needed to focus a tiny bit more attention to his wife and daughter. 

"Let the records show, that as of 3:33 AM, the patient has survived Phase one of the operation.Prepare for Phase 2."

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jun 11 10 12:19 PM

Honestly, it's a bit surprising how much I don't care about auto-run until it's taken away. An "Always Run" option would have been great, particualrly for Survival mode.

Past that, I don't really have any complaints about Dementium II. Fantastic action-horror all the way through. :3

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Jun 14 10 4:41 PM

While I admit to be very anxious with the release of Dementium II, I was a little disappointed with this sequel because of the following reasons:

• Too little chapters: It's kinda strange that the first Dementium has sixteen chapters whereas Dementium II has only five. I know the chapters are much longer this time around but still...only five?
  • Knife too strong: I personally completed 3/4 of the game using only the knife and nothing else (excluding the bosses). The knife (or shank) is supposed to be a starter weapon and as you progress to the game and collect more weapons, the knife will become useless. However, in D2, the shank is so damn powerful that you can rely on it from beginning to end. 
  • Weak enemies: The enemies in the first Dementium are very strong and merciless but in this sequel, the enemies are so weak. Is it because of the weapons being too powerful?
  • No save slots: Why not?
  • No multiplayer: As I recall, Jools did mention of having multiplayer in future games so it's surprising that D2 doesn't have it.
  • Weak story: While I totally dig the creepy Doctor, I still don't understand his motives and why he keeps bullying poor ol' William Redmoor. If William did murder his wife and daughter, that's his own darn problem so why can't the Doctor just leave him alone? Also, I thought this sequel would give a little backstory about William and his family but sadly, that didn't happen. I would love to know more about his wife and kid. The game did mention their names once or twice but I was hoping to see them either in a form of dream or hallucination (like in the first game). William's relationship with the Doctor and his past could've been better.
  • No image of William Redmoor: I would really like to know what my character looks like. Even in Doom and Quake you get to know who you're playing as.
  • Better replay value: After you finish the game, you should give the option of either replaying it in a harder difficulty or unlocking special weapons (by completing the game in less than 3 hours or something)
  • Better use of insanity: xeo has a good point. D2 should utilize insanity modes like Eternal Darkness and Call of Cthulhu: DCoTE. That'd be awesome and make the game more scary.
  • Better ending: and I thought the first Dementium ending was unclear. This one is just plain...HUH?!!

Despite all these complains, I actually had a great time playing Dementium II. This is not a hate list, but more of an "improving" list. I guess I had too much expectation on this game that I was completely shocked to see the end result.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Jun 15 10 3:58 PM

most of that i agree on. the replay value you can play on hard and you can finshh it under 3 hours. in fact i beat hard in 2 hours and 15 minutes. on easy i beat it on 1 hour and 10 minutes. 

"Let the records show, that as of 3:33 AM, the patient has survived Phase one of the operation.Prepare for Phase 2."

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Jun 19 10 5:11 AM

I don't think I can stress how much I completely agree with Travis; I doubt I could of phrased it better myself. The story itself is superb but the narrative is burshed aside and nowhere near as big enough a focus as it should of been.

That being said I want rid of the "Stinger Music". Having music and sound cues to tell you exactly when enemies are in the room and when you're safe is a horrible idea when it's played straight like it is in Dementium II and honestly kills almost any and all atmosphere the confrontations have outside of 'bosses'. Take a page from Silent Hill and actually use it to better the atmosphere. 

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Jul 23 10 4:04 PM

i do think you should have more of an inventory, and one thing i loved about dementium 1 is that it was 16 chapters long and i would love it if the game was longer cause the suspence of the game leavs me at the edge of my seat other than that the game is perfect :)

Soon the plane of anguish will burst through to our worlds, the sun will black, blood will fall like rain, and the air will be filled with the music of pain....

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Jul 29 10 9:34 AM

although those 16 chapters were short. you can be on chapter 6 in D1 by the time your finsh chapter 1 in D2 but yeah your right i wish D2 had more chapters. i also wish that you have a choice between following the doctors evil scheme on using you for the plane of anguish or chosing to follow the story on your wife and daughter. you chose you own fate and make your own decesions, so why can't william redmoore?

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Jul 29 10 5:16 PM

While I admit to be very anxious with the release of Dementium II, I was a little disappointed with this sequel because of the following reasons:
Too little chapters: It's kinda strange that the first Dementium has sixteen chapters whereas Dementium II has only five. I know the chapters are much longer this time around but still...only five?Knife too strong: I personally completed 3/4 of the game using only the knife and nothing else (excluding the bosses). The knife (or shank) is supposed to be a starter weapon and as you progress to the game and collect more weapons, the knife will become useless. However, in D2, the shank is so damn powerful that you can rely on it from beginning to end. Weak enemies: The enemies in the first Dementium are very strong and merciless but in this sequel, the enemies are so weak. Is it because of the weapons being too powerful?No save slots: Why not?No multiplayer: As I recall, Jools did mention of having multiplayer in future games so it's surprising that D2 doesn't have it.Weak story: While I totally dig the creepy Doctor, I still don't understand his motives and why he keeps bullying poor ol' William Redmoor. If William did murder his wife and daughter, that's his own darn problem so why can't the Doctor just leave him alone? Also, I thought this sequel would give a little backstory about William and his family but sadly, that didn't happen. I would love to know more about his wife and kid. The game did mention their names once or twice but I was hoping to see them either in a form of dream or hallucination (like in the first game). William's relationship with the Doctor and his past could've been better.No image of William Redmoor: I would really like to know what my character looks like. Even in Doom and Quake you get to know who you're playing as.Better replay value: After you finish the game, you should give the option of either replaying it in a harder difficulty or unlocking special weapons (by completing the game in less than 3 hours or something)Better use of insanity: xeo has a good point. D2 should utilize insanity modes like Eternal Darkness and Call of Cthulhu: DCoTE. That'd be awesome and make the game more scary.Better ending: and I thought the first Dementium ending was unclear. This one is just plain...HUH?!!
Despite all these complains, I actually had a great time playing Dementium II. This is not a hate list, but more of an "improving" list. I guess I had too much expectation on this game that I was completely shocked to see the end result.

-psykhophear

Ideas for DIII
1.add energy meter to flashlight like the flamethrower and buzz-saw have
2.create new battery item to refill flashlight meter
3.bring back DTW style enemy deaths
4.bring back all bosses from both games
5.bring back DTW style chest-maw
6.bring back survival mode
7.make new multi-player mode
8.make machine gun/assault rifle with mounted light
9.continue the game in Bright Dawn Treatment Center
10.bring back the hell dimension from DII and Redmoor Hospital from DTW as flashbacks William has throughout the game 
11.remove annoying music played when enemies spawn in DII
12.keep the way the heartbeat only comes in when low on health in DII
13.bring back sledgehammer and buzz-saw from DII
14.bring back flamethrower from DII     

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Aug 17 10 6:40 PM

also for wi-fi for multi-player of 4 players. play survival mode or some other mini-game where the you fight the bosses on an EXTREMELY insane difficulty. Start off with normal first time around, then go to hard, then advance, then expert, and lastly, William Redmoore Insanity. After beating it you unlock a better knife or something that you can switch to in the options menu.  

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help