Lead

Nov 10 10 1:43 AM

Tags : :

Just a quick heads-up, this is likely to be spoiler-tastic for those who don't know various details and such about the Dementium series' overarching story. I'll be starting with what we DO know, so if you don't want anything spoiled, the link's not too far above here to get back to the forum's index page.

H'okay, so the first Dementium makes it abundantly clear that you, William Redmoor, gave your wife (I'll be calling her Whatsername, on account of I can't remember her freakin' name) a case of the worst kind of lead poisoning. And you also have a daughter for some reason, but as far as The Ward tells us, she's a loose end of no great importance to the story.

'Kay?

Now, we've got two significant questions to answer here: Why did you shoot Whatsername in the face, and why is she clamoring for your help (while the Cleaver's dragging her off) and helping you (giving you that key in the courtyard) after you shot her in the face? Last I heard that was kind of a deal-breaker for a lot of relationships.

First thing to remember is that the first Dementium never really happened. At the end, you find out that it was all a dream, including waking up and seeing your not-dead-or-traumatized family approaching. Will never wakes up until Dementium II. This means that the whole of the first title is based entirely in William's own perception of the world and memories: The fact that the place is called the Redmoor Sanitarium, or the fact that the TV is showing the Redmoor News isn't reinforcing that there's a place called Redmoor, it's reinforcing the face that all this is inside his head. Even the Doc mentions this briefly in the second one ("These things, they... They all started happening after your surgery. Whatever was wrong inside your head, we let it out! God help us all!")

Now, remember those two questions I brought up two paragraphs ago? Good. Ignore the first one, we'll get to that later. The second one is obvious: She's your wife, you love her, even if it's only because she's got a mouth that could suck the moon through a straw. Yowza!

Now, let's jump over the Moon (heh) to the sequel, Dementium II. Dementium II introduces us to the idea of there being a mystical cult or two pulling a few strings, a struggle going back for ages, ancient weapons, and a small village that practices a very creepy religion. One bit in particular stands out, though: Sacrificing the doll at the altar. Let me tell you why this is significant:

>You get the doll by digging it out of your daughter's grave. This means that she's either dead, or was supposed to die.

>After the doll gets shanked, you're asked by the Wendigo Witch impersonating Whatsername where your daughter Amanda is.

>Look at that freakin' church. Look at that freakin' town. Even if you removed all the baddies with exposed viscerals and floating sawblade things with anus mouths, there'd still be something decidedly off about it. It's most noticeable at the church, where the altar at the front still looks very much like a sacrificial one, the fact that the town's graves are hidden away in a cave, as opposed to an open cemetery (like they'd want to hide it, mmkay?).

Now, it's a stretch, but certainly not a far one, to think that Amanda was supposed to be sacrificed for some reason. Why, I'unno, but the whole town of was in on it, that much is certain.

Now here's where we venture from what we know and can infer beyond reasonable doubt into what can only be called fanfic territory. Don't worry, I don't intend to bother you with half-assed writing and dropping myself into the story as a character, I'm only going to bother you with hypotheticals that seem to make sense, even if only to me.

Remember how you shot Whatsername in the face? That's the last time she tells me to get my own beer, AMIRITE GUYS?

Chauvanism aside, there's still the lingering question of why you'd shoot your favorite lady in the face. The easy answer? WILLY'S CRAZY. Certainly possible (and insanity is one of the main themes of the series, after all), but it does leave a few loose ends. In a town that revolves around a closely-guarded elite who follow an arcane religion that involves sacrificing children, there's always going to be those who disagree with it for some reason. What if William wanted to escape from the village with his daughter, and Whatsername refused? She insists that the little one has to get shanked to appease whatever forces keep the village safe, something that I daresay seems a bit familiar.

Willy has no chance of escaping with the whole town on his ass. So what does he do? Something he probably doesn't like, but it's not like he has much of a choice: Grabs his .45 (9mm is lame, yo) and performs the only type of brain surgery he knows how to do: the inept kind.

'Course, Amanda doesn't take too kindly to see her mother's body fall in one direction while her head goes in four or five others, so she runs off, the police get called, Amanda goes into police custody, and William gets visited by a Doctor.

You think the police are going to buy a story about a cult sacrificing children to appease their gods and keep the world safe? Well, they'll look into the "cult sacrificing children" bit, but the bit about your ancient gods will only get you a session with a shrink.

And thus we are introduced to The Doctor, who I assume is Dr. Meixner (look around the Dementium II site, yo), a semi-reputable psychologist/psychiatrist (I honestly have no idea what the difference is) and expert in cutting-edge (ha!) therapy.

But guess what? The Doc’s in on it, for more deeply than anyone in your little village ever was. He's possessed and controlled directly by the diety that I assume your village was murdering children to suppress, Malatesta. Why don't I believe that they worshipped her (I assume Malatesta is female, at least, it's kind of a girly-sounding name)? The relic weapon. The fact that the relic weapon was made clearly for fighting the smaller manifestations of hers that may break through (the fact that it repels those smoke beasts supports this idea, if nothing else).

Now, ONE MORE QUESTION: Why the hell are these things happening in the first place? What went wrong inside William's head that was let out?

I dunno. I honestly have no idea. But after a solid 90 minutes of writing, six cans of Mountain Dew: Code Red, three games of Minesweeper, and one good hard bout of Survival Mode (Only got to 67 kills), I think we may be just a bit closer to understanding the mythos that Renegade Kid has set in front of us.

Bloody good job, Renegade Kid Dev Team, and for everyone who read all the way to the end of this wall of text, thanks. ;3

Now I am going to go to bed and sleep like a dead man. Who snores.